Algorithm and flowchart are widely used programming tools that programmer or program designer uses to design a solution to a problem. Although these tools are preferred and used commonly, they still have some disadvantages. In this post, we’ll see advantages and disadvantages of algorithm and flowchart in detail.
Advantages and disadvantages of algorithm and flowchart
Advantages of algorithm
- It is a step-wise representation of a solution to a given problem, which makes it easy to understand.
- An algorithm uses a definite procedure.
- It is not dependent on any programming language, so it is easy to understand for anyone even without programming knowledge.
- Every step in an algorithm has its own logical sequence so it is easy to debug.
- By using algorithm, the problem is broken down into smaller pieces or steps hence, it is easier for programmer to convert it into an actual program
Disadvantages of algorithm.
- Writing algorithm takes a long time.
- An Algorithm is not a computer program, it is rather a concept of how a program should be.
Advantages of flowchart:
- The Flowchart is an excellent way of communicating the logic of a program.
- It is easy and efficient to analyze problem using flowchart.
- During program development cycle, the flowchart plays the role of a guide or a blueprint. Which makes program development process easier.
- After successful development of a program, it needs continuous timely maintenance during the course of its operation. The flowchart makes program or system maintenance easier.
- It helps the programmer to write the program code.
- It is easy to convert the flowchart into any programming language code as it does not use any specific programming language concept.
Disadvantage of flowchart
- The flowchart can be complex when the logic of a program is quite complicated.
- Drawing flowchart is a time-consuming task.
- Difficult to alter the flowchart. Sometimes, the designer needs to redraw the complete flowchart to change the logic of the flowchart or to alter the flowchart.
- Since it uses special sets of symbols for every action, it is quite a tedious task to develop a flowchart as it requires special tools to draw the necessary symbols.
- In the case of a complex flowchart, other programmers might have a difficult time understanding the logic and process of the flowchart.
- It is just a visualization of a program, it cannot function like an actual program.